Bath Recycling Centre will reopen on July 18 on Saturdays and Sundays on an appointment-only basis. We aim to return to a seven day-a-week service in the next two weeks as more staff return to work.
Bath & North East Somerset Council is underlining that the first step in reopening the Midland Road site needs to be weekends only to make sure it has enough staff to keep household waste collections on schedule on weekdays, avoid traffic congestion and ensure public safety at the small site.
The recycling centre is a shared facility with the council’s refuse depot and waste transfer station which currently sees an increased number of lorries and trucks using the site on weekdays due to reduced numbers of crew in cabs.
Bath Recycling Centre will revert to its usual weekend opening hours:
- Saturday: 9am – 3.45pm
- Sunday: 9am – 1pm
Residents will be able to select a day and a time slot by visiting https://beta.bathnes.gov.uk/bath-recycling-centre
Councillor David Wood, joint cabinet member for Climate Emergency and Neighbourhood Services, said: “As I said last week when Old Welton reopened, we know that normal availability of our recycling centres is something residents have been asking for. The appointment system at Old Welton has already proved successful and it’s a system that is needed at the small Midland Road site so we can avoid traffic congestion and make sure there’s enough room for social distancing.
“The site will return to its normal weekend hours for now, but we will aim to bring back a 7 day a week service after two weeks. In the meantime, extended operating hours are still in operation at the Keynsham site and weekday appointments can also be booked at Old Welton. Thank you to residents for their patience as we work to get back to normal.”
Bath Recycling Centre is re-opening under the following terms:
- Residents make full use of kerbside services including refuse, recycling, garden waste and bulky waste collections
- vehicles which have not been booked in will be turned away from the site
- proof of booking and residency checks will be carried out
- residents will be limited to two bookings in a seven-day period to help maximise the number of households that can access the site
- visitors will be required to maintain social distancing and stay 2 metres apart from other users
- staff will not be able to assist people unloading their vehicles
- only one person should unload each vehicle unless assistance is required for a heavy item. This assistance must be provided by someone who has travelled with you
- all visitors are expected to act in a courteous manner to staff. Abuse or violence will not be tolerated, and the site maybe temporarily closed if staff feel unsafe
- the centre cannot current accept items for reuse such as textiles and shoes
The number plate system currently used for access to Pixash Lane Recycling Centre is to remain in use and the site will continue to offer extended operating hours. No booking is required here.
- Mondays – Fridays: 8am-6.00pm
- Saturdays: 8am-3.45pm
- Sundays: 8am – 1pm
More information about the council’s recycling services can be found here https://beta.bathnes.gov.uk/find-recycling-centre
Updates on all council services can be found at www.bathnes.gov.uk/coronavirus