Bath & North East Somerset Council is warning residents about the dangers of fidget spinners, after its Trading Standards team seized nearly 300 spinners from shops and stalls in Bath.
They seized fidget spinners with small parts that can easily pop out, causing a choking hazard to young children. Some featured a blade with sharp pointed edges, and others had LED lights containing lithium-ion batteries which, if ingested, can cause internal bleeding.
In most cases, no safety warnings or minimum age restrictions were indicated on the fidget spinners. There were also no name and address details for the manufacturer/importer, which would enable the fidget spinners to be swiftly withdrawn from the market in the event of a product safety issue.
Councillor Martin Veale (Conservative, Bathavon North), Cabinet Member for Community Services, said: ““Fidget spinners are new and currently very popular among young people. We want to ensure that when using these devices that young people are safe. Our Trading Standards Officers have been looking at some of the spinners on sale and found them to have very small and dangerous parts, so for public safety it’s only right that they be withdrawn from sale. Anyone buying a fidget spinner should purchase it from a reputable trader and ensure the safety warnings can be clearly seen on the packaging.”
Bath & North East Somerset Council’s Trading Standards Officers are now working with the fidget spinner sellers to trace the supply chain and identify the importers so that the dangers to children identified can be addressed.
If you have concerns about a spinner you have bought, or a retailer selling them, contact the Citizen Advice Bureau on 03454 040506; if necessary, they will refer complaints to the relevant local authority if Trading Standards need to investigate.
If you are a business and want advice on whether the products you are selling are safe please contact your local Trading Standards Team.