Part of the Lakeside Group “http://www.lakesidegroup.org.uk”
The Revd Victor Barley 01275 331086
Anne Summers 01275 333812
Andrew Troup 01275 333002
Church Hall bookings:
Mrs Di Abrahams 01275 333173
Presence and Witness
St Andrew’s Church has witnessed to God for many centuries and today remains at the heart of the spiritual life of the parish. There is a warm welcome for all ages with a varied and developing pattern of worship. The Church is part of the Lakeside Group of Churches under the direction of the Revd Charles Roberts.
First Sunday: 6.30pm Evensong
Second Sunday: 10.30am Family Worship (jointly with Methodists)
6.30pm Holy Communion (Common Worship)
Third Sunday: No services. See magazine for services elsewhere in the Group.
Fourth Sunday: 10.30am Holy Communion (Common Worship)
10.30am Sunday Club for under 12s
(jointly with Methodists, Church Halls)
Fifth Sundays: 6.30pm Songs of Praise.
Every Sunday 8.00am Holy Communion (BCP said), St Andrew’s Chew Magna.
In our work for children, St Andrew’s works ecumenically with the Methodist Church. The churches also join each other on occasions for other services. The church works closely with the CofE V.C. Primary School in the village, holding services in school and church.
A house group meets on the fourth Wednesday at 7.30pm to study God’s word, and throughout Lent we hold a joint Anglican/Methodist study group.
The Grade II* listed building on the west side of the village, was constructed in the 15th Century and stands at the head of a quiet cul-de-sac. It underwent extensive renovation in 1862 when the interior was unusually decorated with 156 angels in wood and stone. In the tower hang bells cast by the local Bilbie family. The churchyard is lovingly cared for and provides the perfect setting for this beautiful country church.
Chew Stoke had a remarkable family of bell founders and clockmakers who lived and worked here for more than 200 years, from the late 1600s until the 1800s. The Bilbie family produced more than 1,350 bells, which are hung in churches all over the West Country. Edward Bilbie’s first and oldest surviving bell, cast in 1698, is still giving good service in St Andrew’s Church today. The bells were tuned and re-hung in 1996 with a new bell replacing the Bilbie treble. The redundant bell is now on display in the nave as a tribute and memorial to this famous family.
We have a small band that rings on the second and fourth Sundays of the month, for church festivals, other special services and weddings. The ringers have their own page on this website.
The Church Hall, on the corner of Church Lane, is licensed for 100 people and is run by a young and enthusiastic committee. It is used for all church events, including meetings of the Parochial Church Council, and a very popular monthly Soup Lunch. Other organisations include the Parish Council, the WI, Baby Clinic, Choral Society and the Dramatic Society. Wedding receptions, children’s parties and private events are regularly held in the Hall. Bookings are arranged by Di Abrahams whose phone number is above.
If you would like to be part of or know more about anything described above, please contact us.